Sendmail Patch Fails to Install Causing Other Patches that Depend on it to Fail
The following document details problem encounter install HP-UX standard patch bundles or individual patches when the Special Releases of Sendmail is installed on the system. The typical error message looks like:
====== 09/09/08 14:21:50 EDT BEGIN install AGENT SESSION (pid=23956) (jobid=camxis01-0048) * Agent session started for user "root@camxis01 <mailto:root@camxis01>". (pid=23956) * Beginning Analysis Phase. * Source: camxis01:/hppatch/patch/PHNE_35950.depot * Target: camxis01:/ * Target logfile: camxis01:/var/adm/sw/swagent.log * Reading source for product information. NOTE: The filesystems in the filesystem table will not be checked against those currently mounted because the "mount_all_filesystems" option is set to "false". * Reading source for file information. NOTE: /usr/sbin/sendmail has been replaced by a softlink to another file. This may be due to a version of the " sendmail(1m) 811 special release upgrade " product being enabled on the system. PHNE_35950 cannot be installed until newer versions of sendmail are disabled. NOTE: The "checkinstall" script for "PHNE_35950" gave an "exclude" return (exit code "3"). The script location was "/var/tmp/BAAa23956/catalog/PHNE_35950/pfiles/checkinstall". NOTE: This software will be excluded from further processing. * Executing preDSA command. * Summary of Analysis Phase: * 2 of 2 filesets will be Skipped. * The Analysis Phase succeeded. ======= 09/09/08 14:21:59 EDT END install AGENT SESSION (Cancelled) (pid=23956) (jobid=camxis01-0048)
To resolve the issue, Sendmail 8.13.3 must be removed before the patch can be installed. Then the patch bundle will be able to be installed. Sendmail 8.13.3 then can be reinstalled.
- Note: It is suggested that a backup of sendmail configuration file /etc/mail/sendmail.cf be made before removing Sendmail.
1. Check what special release of Sendmail is installed on your system.
# swlist -l fileset | grep sendmail PHNE_29774 1.0 sendmail(1m) 8.9.3 patch SMAIL-UPGRADE B.11.11.02.004 sendmail(1m) 813 special release upgrade
2. Obtained latest sendmail 8.13.3 release version at http://h20392.www2.hp.com/portal/swdepot/displayProductInfo.do?productNumber=SMAIL813
3. Backup Sendmail configuration file.
# cp /etc/mail/sendmail.cf /var/tmp/sendmail.cf
3. Remove Sendmail special release and any related patches for that product.
# xwremove \ -x mount_all_filesystems=false \ -x enforce_dependencies=false \ PHNE_29774 SMAIL-UPGRADE
4. Install any patch bundle or set of patches that generated the error message, for example, the HP-UX 11.11 PHNE_35950.
5. Install Sendmail 8.13.3 from your the depot download on step 1.
# swinstall -x mount_all_filesystems=false \ -x enforce_dependencies=false \ -s <source_to_sendmail_upgrade_release> \* @
6. Recover sendmail configuration file.
# cp /var/tmp/sendmail.cf /etc/mail/sendmail.cf
- Note: Sendmail service doesn't require a restart.
- SAW: emr_na-c01424674-1 - Sendmail Patch Fails to Install Causing Other Patches that Depend on it to Fail
- WFM Case: 3603173851