Alejandro Marin Badilla
I’ve been in the Information Technology industry since the turn of the century which constitutes a 13 year career. I had had many roles with a long track of success and achievements within challenging and high under-pressure environments, where I had to work with a myriad of technologies. To better showcase where this work has lead me, I like to present the three key areas where I have work:
- Senior UNIX/Windows System Administrator: UNIX / Linux / Windows administrator since 1999. I qualified myself as an expert on HP-UX, senior Solaris and advanced RedHat Linux system administrator in both bare metal and virtualized environments (primary ESX). I had a high level of exposure to Microsoft technologies, including operating systems as early as Windows NT 3.5/ Windows 3.1 to Windows 2008 release 2. My experience includes installation, configuration and information lifecycle management. Including backups. I also have hands-on experience managing several industry middleware application components like Weblogic and Tomcat in conjunction with many web servers like Apache, IIS and Sun One. I’m active member of Linux and HP-UX support groups and maintainer of http://wiki-ux.info, a knowledge base that target HP-UX technology.
- Critical Systems Performance and Capacity Planning: since 2010, I’ve work for Bank of America in the Global Markets and Research Technology business tower, serving mainly but not exclusively the Merrill-Lynch stock brokering operation. I perform day to day Capacity Planning consultation for all the new and legacy environments year to year design, deployments and on march. I currently the senior member of a team of Perl, PHP and Java developers that have created special purpose analytical and visualization tools to handle a global inventory up to 35k system across world regions. I obtained a Six Sigma Green Belt training and certification as a result of my team and personal achievements. Lately I personally created a high performance ETL for handling datasets in the order of 130 GB raw / 7 GB post-process per day of TeamQuest resource utilization data. During 2013 I designed a ETL based on Perl and R (after considering SAS) to process data for a proprietary Bank of America massive resource metric collector. I am currently enrolled in Cenfotec University Database Design Master program for honing my database skills.
- Business analysis and administration: my first university major was in Business Administration where I obtained a Licentiate degree in Public Accounting from de Instituto Tecnológico de Costa Rica. Through the years, I’ve used this formal training and my information technology acumen to support business in the development of cost effective solutions.
- Six Sigma Green Belt Certification + Silver Award for “Metrica” development and deployment in the Americas, UK and Asia Pacific regions.
- Develop Oracle 11g database / Perl ETL for daily collection of 35k server’s key performance indicators using TeamQuest and DNT performance agents and ancillary databases. This provides the base data to support multiple analytical environments, including Tableau Business Intelligence, CiRBA and “Metrica”.
- Multiple Bronze awards: Savings accomplished through the support of NewBAC initiatives, Server Virtualization, Print Reduction and Desktop Reduction Global.
- Gold award: team development lead of BA Continuum GT&O Business Intelligence Tool.
- Gold Award: GT&O Knowledge and Development Work stream.
- Silver award: Distributed Monitoring Audit participation.
- Platinum award: Midrange System of Record Audit technical lead and execution participation.
- TeamQuest Administrator Certificate.
HP-UX System Administration
- E-AWARD. "Outstanding work getting KMI metric up (7.29) for the whole team with his training and follow-up to each of his coworkers." Knowledge Management System. (April 2010).
- Multiple K and P+ Performance evaluation during FPRs.
- Participate in the re-layout of HP-UX Frontline Boot camp training course, working together with team Mentors and Senior Agents.
- Received E-AWARD. HP-UX Frontline Trainer: Ignite-UX and LVM (June 2008),
- WoW award due to Excellence in Customer Satisfaction. (HP-UX Remote Support). Hewlett-Packard (GSC).
- E-AWARD. Develop local knowledge repository for HP-UX L1 Sys-Admin.
Solaris X86 & SPARC, Linux & FreeBSD
- Design, implementation and administration of backup services: Solaris x86 10, Openserver 5.0.4, 5.0.5, 5.0.6, FreeBSD, NFS / iSCSI.
- Design, implementation and administration of VPN Services across Costa Rica, Guatemala and Panama locations. Work on site in the Central American region to deploy this solutions.
- Design, Implementation, Administration of Microsoft Windows Network Services, including Windows 2000/2003, RAS and Terminal Services.
- Design, Implementation, Administration of UNIX Network Services: Solaris x86 9, 10, Apache, MySQL, DB Mail, Squid-Cache, IP Filter, SAMBA.
- Senior Performance and Capacity Planning: HP, BMC, CiRBA, TeamQuest and ad-hoc solutions for very large, complex and mixed environments.
- HP-UX 11i v3 / v2 / v1 System Administration, Integrity Virtual Machines, LVM, Ignite-UX, DRD, SWA, Performance Analysis, Fiber Channel, VERITAS Volume Manager.
- Solaris System Administration, 8, 9, 10 and 11: ZFS, Containers, Zones.
- Unix System Administration: POSIX, Solaris, HP-UX bash scripting, AWK text processing.
- High Availability Storage Management, HP StorageWorks, EMC, IBM Tivoli
- Oracle Database System Administration, ASM / Partitioning.
- Microsoft SQL System Administration.
- MySQL System Administration.
- Red Hat System Administration.
- Openserver, FreeBSD, OpenBSD.
- Windows System Administration.
- Perl Senior Programmer, Padre, Eclipse EPIC.
- PHP Junior programmer using MVC frameworks, like Cake and CodeIgniter.
- Java Junior programmer, Eclipse Kepler.
- C/C++ Junior programmer, Eclipse CDT.
- Internet information technologies: Apache, Tomcat, PHP 4,5, Postfix | Dbmail, Sendmail, Squid-Cache Proxy Server, SAMBA, BIND, FTP, IP Filter.
- VICE PRESIDENT, CONSULTANT ENGINEER II, BANK OF AMERICA N.A, DALLAS, TEXAS
- September 2014, Present
- MIDRANGE CAPACITY PLANNER, BANK OF AMERICA (BA CONTINUUM), SAN JOSÉ, COSTA RICA
- June 2010, August 2014
- HP-UX SECOND LEVEL REMOTE SUPPORT ENGINEER, HEWLETT-PACKARD | GLOBAL COMPENTENCY CENTER, HEREDIA, COSTA RICA
- November 2008, June 2010
- HP-UX FIRST LEVEL REMOTE SUPPORT ENGINEER, HEWLETT-PACKARD | GLOBAL SUPPORT CENTER, HEREDIA, COSTA RICA
- February 2007, November 2008
- SENIOR UNIX SYSTEM ADMINISTRATOR | NETWORK ADMINISTRATOR, SERVICIOS PASTORALES, SAN JOSÉ, COSTA RICA
- July 2004, February 2007
- SENIOR UNIX AND WINDOWS SYSTEM ADMINISTRATOR, INTERNET DE CENTROAMERICA, SAN JOSÉ, COSTA RICA
- January 2001, June 2004
- JUNIOR UNIX AND WINDOWS SYSTEM ADMINISTRATOR, INTERNET DE CENTROAMERICA, SAN JOSÉ, COSTA RICA
- December 1999, December 2001
- MASTER IN DATABASE TECHNOLOGY, CENFOTEC, SAN JOSÉ, (Currently enrolled)
- Accepted on the program on January 2014, currently completing the Object / Relational and Advanced SQL programming courses.
- SIX SIGMA GREEN BELT, BANK OF AMERICA, SAN JOSÉ
- LICENTIATE IN BUSINESS ADMINISTRATION | PUBLIC ACCOUTING, INSTITUTO TÉCNOLOGICO DE COSTA RICA, CARTAGO, 2003
- BACHELOR IN BUSINESS ADMINISTRATION, INSTITUTO TÉCNOLOGICO DE COSTA RICA, CARTAGO, 2003
- MID-LEVEL ACCOUNTING TECHNICIAN, COTEPECOS, SAN JOSÉ, 1996
- BACHELLOR DEGREE IN MID-EDUCATION, COTEPECOS, SAN JOSÉ, 1996